Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Top Albums of 2015: 17) Turnover-"Peripheral Vision"


The biggest trend found in the pop punk scene around late 2010/early 2011 was to stop being pop punk. Title Fight paved the way into 90’s era emo nostalgia with the battalion of Basement, Daylight, Citizen, and many others marching only mere steps behind. One of these bands was Turnover.

2013 saw the official departure of pop punk for Turnover with their debut LP Magnolia. Had said release come out two or three years prior it probably would have been one of my absolute favorites but by the time it saw the light of the day I was attempting to distance myself from the gimmick for whatever reason. It is a strong release and I realize that now but I at the time it slipped right under my radar.

Peripheral Vision now has my attention. Turnover’s sophomore full length is a beautiful release showcasing the four piece finding their own sound leaps and bounds beyond their debut. It is a rebirth of sorts taking the emo nostalgia craze and blending it with the ethereal nature of dream pop.

Austin Getz softly serenades the listener with the relatable struggles of transition from adolescence to adulthood accompanied with distortion-free twinkly guitar work. Turnover no longer boldly wears their influences on their sleeve like some of their labelmates. The best way I could attempt to describe Peripheral Vision’s sound is if you took old Death Cab for Cutie and meshed it with a more fast-paced Galaxy 500 instrumentally (and even that's a stretch).

The one small complaint I have with this album is that it is hard for me to view as one cohesive unit as opposed to a smorgasbord of similar sounding singles. The majority of the tracks start with a pretty fade in broken guitar chord leading vocal patterns that seem recycled as the album progresses and each include extremely catchy chorus. This formula shines brightest in the opening track “Cutting My Fingers Off” which was the song that made me realized I now loved this band in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment