Friday, December 25, 2015

Top Albums of 2015: 01) Title Fight-"Hyperview"



There is no denying the fact that Title Fight has gradually become an iconic figurehead in the alternative music scene since their inception in 2003. From the angst-driven bubblegum pop punk ballads found on 2009’s The Last Thing Your Forget compilation to the Jawbox inspired alt-rock anthems on 2013’s Floral Green, the young four piece has managed to display fantastic writing and progressive maturation over such a brief period. Words cannot describe the night-and-day comparison of seeing the band play to twenty kids at the ICC in 2010 followed by a completely packed out co-headlining gig the Paradise Rock Club only five years later.

This past winter, right as the massive snowstorms took their violently devastating toll on New England, Title Fight released their third full length album Hyperview. Hyperview holds a very important place in my heart because it served as the soundtrack to one of the most bittersweet and emotional experiences of my entire life.

I will never forget the day I first heard this record. Stress and anxiety were at an all-time high at this point in my life as I felt myself inevitably falling in love with one of my best friends while trapped in a long term relationship grounded in emotional abuse. It was the only thing that crossed my mind as the harsh winter storm began to envelop my town. I was then asked to shovel my parent’s driveway as the storm began to worsen, and I saw this as the ideal time to finally listen to the new Title Fight record I had saved on my computer the night before. I synced Hyperview to my phone only seconds before my house lost power, popped in my headphones, zipped up my coat, and stepped outside into the violent blizzard.

The opening notes of “Murder Your Memory” sonically explored my one working ear drum as I witnessed flurries of snow picked up by the harsh storm winds forming a beautiful spiral-like shape. This real life imagery was almost too fitting. 

Hypeview’s chilling soundscapes brings to mind detailed and specific moments of my life during these both happy yet painful times. All I was forced to recall were the late night playground adventures with my dearest friend Emily whom I was slowly but surely falling head over heels for. Even during the coldest winter evenings, we would find ourselves seated upon swings invested in deep conversation. I would recall specific moments of me gazing into her big, beautiful blue eyes and feel my heart thunderously pound as she flashed her flawless smile. The only thing holding me back from holding her close and pressing my lips to hers were the commitments of a relationship I wanted to end but lacked the bravery to do so.

A month or so later I eventually gained the courage to end my toxic relationship and asked Emily to be my girlfriend. I was met with a slightly hesitant “sure” but since then 2015 has proven to be a year full of pure contentment, endless support, and wonderful memories. I was overjoyed to discover Emily shared the same bittersweet connection for this album as I did and brought to mind the same winter evenings at the playground. Despite my blatant bias towards this album, its overall sound holds enough water to land this top spot on my year end list.

Title Fight is a band notorious for leaving a small trail of breadcrumbs that leads to the musical style their following release will explore. The Last Thing You Forget compilation was predominantly a strict pop punk release with the exception of its closer “Western Haikus.” That track alone served as the foundation of their debut LP Shed that birthed the current emo revival craze. “Where Am I?” and “27” left hints of the band’s transition to Floral Green and in turn “Head in the Ceiling Fan,”Lefty”, and “In Between” did the same for the heavily shoegaze influenced Hyperview.

Many complain the band’s third full length sacrifices the band’s trademark abrasiveness, overwhelming emotion, and well-structured songwriting for a more mature sound, but I couldn’t disagree more. “Your Pain is Mine Now”, “Dizzy”, and “Rose of Sharon” are some of the strongest and most passionate tracks in the band’s catalogue. Will Yip’s production of Hyperview proves to be top notch and finds the ideal middle ground for Title Fight’s emo and shoegazing influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment