Sunday, December 13, 2015

Top Albums of 2015: 13) Father John Misty-"I Love You, Honeybear"


Fear Fun was on constant rotation at my place of work upon its release. J. Tillman’s new persona crafted a fun collective of songs with well-written and silly lyrics. Every track was extremely catchy and well-composed. I Love You, Honeybear is Father John Misty’s sophomore release under his new moniker and it is an entirely different animal.

This time around, Misty does not try to recreate his past work with back-to-back catchy tunes that will stay in your head. The album is mostly a collection of personal yet sarcastic ballads critiquing the concept of human love and even fittingly hit shelves the week of Valentine’s Day.

I Love You, Honeybear is a concept album about Tillman’s own life and explores much darker lyrical themes than Fear Fun. The numerous profanities also prevented my coworkers and I from reliving the experiences of Fear Fun’s constant instore play, but these bold differences are what make this record stand equally as strong on its own.

Father John Misty’s writing is far more nostalgic and broad this time around. Some tracks reminded me of Pink Floyd (“When You’re Smiling and Astride Me”), others reminded me of Velvet Underground (“The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment”), and one track manages to take on on current electronic pop (“True Affection.”)

The concept love and true affection is painted as this flawless, perfect picture in our culture especially around Valentine’s Day. Tillman’s latest LP shows the dirty, ugly, and realistic truths surrounding being in love in this marvelous work of art known as I Love You, Honeybear.

No comments:

Post a Comment